Thursday, September 1, 2011

Lizards!


The drought and the heat wave kicked it up a notch the past few days.  On Sunday, it was 112 degrees, matching the highest temperature ever in Austin. Monday was 110.  On the news last night, it was reported that August was the hottest month ever in Austin and this is the hottest summer in history.

With the frogs and toads in hiding from the heat, lizards have taken center stage. Much more adapted to heat, they seem to be most active in the middle of the day and are often visible clinging to the side of the house or trees.  Texas has some beautiful lizards.   The main lizard we have around here is the Texas Spiny Lizard.  They are gorgeous!  I don't think they actually have spines, but their scales do come out a bit so they have a a little punkish flair.  While I have always seen them scurrying around, this week I have taken the time to notice them and one in particular has taken the time to get a little friendly.

This guy has decided to hang out on the porch next to the recycling bin every day.  He seems mildly interested in me and he investigated the few bits of chopped frozen vegetables I scattered for the squirrel.  I looked up what lizards ate and various people said they fed their lizards lettuce. When I looked up Texas Spiny Lizards, however, sources said they ate insects.  Well, this guys seems to like both.  Good for omnivore lizards!
 
I also discovered that lizards will do a little pushups to show their strength and virility.  One article says that when two lizards meet up, they will do this in a show of strength in competition until one of the lizards gives up, without a fight. Californiaherps.com, a very informative website about lizards, calls it a "territorial display".  "This display shows off the bright coloring on their throats and sides, if they have it, and shows that they are in prime physical condition, and not to be messed with. Females also do push-ups."

I actually saw the little push up show this week on the porch step. Although I did not see another lizard, my porch visitor did his little funky rhythmic push up in a perfect 4/4 beat.  I pictured him in a music video - he was that good. Awesome, even.  Maybe there wasn't another male around.  Maybe he just felt the urge to dance. 

The squirrel has very much enjoyed the ice water, peanuts and veggies I have been putting out for him or her on the big flat rock.  A couple of always-greedy deer came up, very interested in what was on the rock, having stolen lots of treats from there in the past.  They saw the squirrel, though, backed up and did not interfere.  I guess squirrels are higher up in pack order than deer.  Who knew?


For the past week, a solitary leopard frog has cautiously used the pond, but has been really shy with me.  I found him at about ten o'clock at night, sitting by the statute of St. Martin de Porres that overlooks the pond from the porch steps. I love how his eyes glow! My little phone camera can't really even focus on him with his glowing eyes.  I like how he decided to take refuge alongside this animal-loving saint.





I can tell the heat is breaking and that some moisture is imminent because two small toads were in the pond along with the leopard frog last night, which means they had some reason to come out of hibernation.  This morning was actually pleasant so I hope this means the weather may change a bit.









This is just one adorable lizard.  I think he likes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment