Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Difference Between Frogs and Toads or… Toads are From Mars and Frogs are From Venus



Gulf Coast Toad
Leopard Frog
The more I watch the frogs and the toads, the more I notice their distinctions. 

I can’t believe that I used to confuse one from the other. Now, I think that mistaking a toad for a frog would be as absurd as  mistaking a cat for a dog. 

While I recognize them now as altogether different personalities, I looked up what, technically,  makes them different.  First, I found out that all toads are, biologically, in the general frog family, but I guess they are a completely different branch.  So, while all toads are frogs, all frogs are definitely not toads.  

Frogs are water-dwellers. It is their element and they must live near some sort of water source or else they will die.  Conversely, toads are earth-dwellers, they only need the water to breed and for comfort and they can burrow into the ground if it gets too dry. They can even live in the desert. They are adaptable.

Frogs have smooth, lovely skin that needs to be kept moist.  Toads have rough skin; they are prepared for dry conditions and for living in the earth.  Frogs have long well-developed legs that are geared for giant arcing jumps.  Toads have short squat legs, better suited for walking and short hops.  Frogs are shy.  They will use their abilities to leap quickly away from danger or uncertainty.  Toads are not nearly as shy - but they have poison in their skin.  They may not be able to get  away from predators as quickly, but they are  less a target because of those toxins.  Frogs have high-set bulging eyes.  Toads have more inset eyes.  Frogs have TEETH!  Toads do not.  

In folklore, frogs are just a kiss away from royalty. Toads, on the other hand, need to be avoided, because they would give you warts. They are, of course, the crucial ingredient in many a witch’s cursing brew. Their name was invoked as a historic insult, particularly in 19th century novels: “You toad!”


Frogs have smooth skin, often interesting patterns and are quite lovely. They are rarely noticeably fat or thin. They are watchful, shy, demure. People fashion jewelry and garden statues in the shape of cute frogs. In Asian culture, they are considered good luck.  

Toads are more noticeably fat. I get worried when I see one who is thin.



Ulysses, in all his chubby glory!
Too-skinny Toad
While frogs dive for cover when I come to visit them at the pond, the toads will hang out with me, heads sticking out of the water, not wanting to miss anything.  

Toads are good listeners. 

Million Dollar Smile!
That evening I spent singing to my big toad friend Ulysses as we just hung out together one summer evening will always be one of those great life memories.  I will also never forget when I saw him with a snake swimming around him as he sat in the water, totally unconcerned. He didn’t budge when I grabbed the snake with my kitchen tongs from right beside him.  He knew he was too big and too toxic to eat and seemed amused by the situation. You would never find a frog in that position!  

Toad parties are raucous bacchanalian affairs.  They jump and sing and swim and carry on together.  They may yell at you if you interrupt them, but they won't just scurry away.  These parties might be a bit much for the cautious frogs.


I think that most of us were raised to be frogs.  I think that we should not mind at all if we turn out more like toads.  This could be, perhaps, the most important thing I have learned all year. 

Can we nurture our inner toad?  I wish I could be as comfortable in my skin as a toad. I wish I did not have to be as fearful of life's predators, and simply be comforted with the knowledge that everyone knows I carry a vat of toxins in my skin and any enemy attack upon me is an attack upon themselves.  I wish I could drop any hope of being someone's good luck charm or savior and simply sprawl in the pond and smile when stupid people squirm with revulsion at my rough wrinkled skin.  I wish I could sit still with my inner strength and smile, rather than shake with fear, consumed with over-analyzing my inadequacies and looking for my next escape.

No comments:

Post a Comment