Monday, August 1, 2011

Who Do We Have Here?

On the day that Pippen died, one of the tadpoles decided that it was time to step up and be a frog. I hesitated to introduce him, because he is the sole survivor of my attempts to save baby frogdom from the snake war.

I have learned some things, however, through this heart-wrenching experimentation in frog-raising.  This guy just gets live food - fruitflies and pinhead crickets.  You can already see that he has a nice little belly on him, unlike Pippen, who had a giant head and almost no body.  I tried to feed Pippen bloodworm goo, which I don't think he ever ate.   I moved this guy to  a new, smaller and very clean carrier, just in case the aquarium the others were in had some kind of fungus or bacteria that contributed to the other froglets' and tadpoles' deaths.  No gravel or sharp rocks went into this pen, having read in a blog that gravel can scratch a young frog's tender body and make it vulnerable to infections.   This froggy has only soft moss and a big plastic dish shaped like a rock.  I also took out the heat lamp.  I heard that frogs really are fine at between 70-80 degrees, which is exactly what my house is, with the A/C on.

He seems to be doing well. He looks like a real tiny frog, rather than a little old man. I am keeping my fingers crossed -- and going back to the store for more tiny crickets!

No comments:

Post a Comment