Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Skinny Toad

Last night, I saw a little toad hanging on the net on top of the pond.  After some consideration about the wisdom of leaving my "giant interfering hand of anti-destiny" out of the pond, I decided to help him out anyway, in case he was lost.  I couldn't help myself. I gently picked him up.  He was scared and tried to wriggle out of my grasp.  He was very skinny and weak, though, and I released him next to the water where he leapt in and stayed, balancing on plants for hours, with just his head above the water. I visited him a few times during the night, hoping that he had caught some bugs.  I've never seen a thin toad before.   How can Texas run out of insects??!  I turned the porchlight on, figuring that the light may attract a few yummy bugs for my friends. This weather pattern needs to change soon. Also in the pond was an elusive Leopard Frog.  She never let me see her in person though, diving under cover when I opened the front door.  But I knew she was there from watching from the window.

This morning, as usual, the toads and frogs were gone.  I still don't completely understand where they exactly go during the day.  As I sat by the water, feeding the fish some flakes, the anole baby came out to say hi, running along the edge of the netting and looking right at me.  I was very glad to see her.  She always looks so cheerful and I swear she comes out purposefully when I come and sit in the morning. I think she is a she because I see that boys have some sort of reddish lumps their necks and I don't think she has one. 

Looking down into the water of the pond, I noted a few active tadpoles.  I understand that the frogs and toads will eat some or all of these.  Maybe Marge and George will, too.    I will not scoop them out and try to save them, however.  Nature needs to do her thing and I need to step back and observe.  Life lesson - something about accepting the things I cannot change, being patient and trying to understand.

1 comment: