Monday, February 27, 2012

My little lonely pond

Well, you haven't heard much from the frog blog lately, mainly because there really hasn't been much to talk about.  We only have one little resident, a Rio Grande Leopard Frog who I am assuming is female because she is quite silent.  Every night I see her in the pond and she disappears in the morning.  She used to jump for cover when I came to say hi, but she cautiously stays around, watching me.  I was actually able to finally taker her picture:


 I know these aren't very clear, but keep in mind that I am sneaking up on her with a flashlight, trying not to drop the smartphone in the water!  She is very cute.
It seems like she is very lonely, though.  She just hangs out, waiting for friends to join her.  If we are going to have some tadpoles in the pond, she can't continue to be in there by herself.  I am wishing a froggy boyfriend comes to join her soon.

Sadly, I haven't seen a single toad since the worst of the drought.  I am so afraid that we have killed off our beautiful and charming toads.  I miss them so much. 

We have had a good amount of rain in the past couple of months, so the lack of frogs and toads is simply heartbreaking, as in previous years, this wet weather would have frogs and toads jumping all over the place.  Damn drought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment