Thursday, March 15, 2012

Empty Pond.

Our little female Rio Grande Leopard Frog who had been patiently waiting for friends to join her simply disappeared.  I kept checking, but no frog.  I was sad, thinking that something bad may have come of her.  The pond is very quiet with no fish and no frogs.

But last night, I went out to the street to check for mail and heard the unmistakable sound of a male Leopard frog calling for mates.  Well, I'm guessing that she got tired of waiting for suitors and decided to take matters into her own hands. He didn't sound too far away, and with all this recent rain, there is water in the creek and various other places, so she has places to lay her eggs. Hope she finds him.

The videos demonstrates what she (we) heard.  I took both of these last year of an earnest male frog looking for some girlfriends.  One is labeled Gulf Coast Toad, but it is actually a Leopard Frog, I just didn't change the label.


No comments:

Post a Comment