Sunday, July 24, 2011

Red-Sided Garter Snake And My Growing Family...

I saw one of these in the pond yesterday.  He was just a tiny baby, not more than a few months old and no threat to Marge or George.  This is an absolutely gorgeous snake and I think it is unusual to find a red-sided garter snake in central Texas. Ribbon snakes would be more common, but the checkerboard pattern was unmistakable, to me at least, to identify it as a garter snake. 
As pretty as it was, it needed to go, so I tried to catch him by removing every rock and plant in the pond and using a net to fish my heart out.  This was a very messy enterprise and I never did find him.  I did, however, find 2 more tadpoles and a soon-to-be frog= (who unfortunately, did not make it through the night ) who became the newest members of the indoor family.   I also made a trip to the pet store to buy supplies to make the emergency shelter a better home.  This included some gravel to make some beachfront property, a couple of plants, a bowl with a climbing ramp and some nice healthy fruit flies.  One of the tadpoles is definitely bigger and lighter in color that the others. It looks like a gulf coast toad tadpole.  I guess the other two are Leopard Frog tadpoles.  With all the new hiding places I created, I could not see anyone this morning to say hello, which is a bummer.  I expected to see little frog, just like I always do, but he was hiding.


Little frog needs a name.  So far, the following have been suggested: Frodo, Frodi, and Pippen.  I have to say, he looks like a Pippin, although I do like Frodo and Frodi, too.  I cannot decide.  Wish he could tell me what he would like his name to be. He has also been quiet today. I hope he is ok.  Seeing the little tweener who didn't make it made me very sad this morning. I was really hoping I could raise some healthy frogs or toads.



No comments:

Post a Comment